Valdosta State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor's, master's, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Valdosta State University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
Numerous academic programs have also attained accreditation from or membership in national professional organizations.
College of the Arts
Also in the College of the Arts, programs in music are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The public relations emphasis within the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a major in communication has been awarded Certification in Education for Public Relations by the Public Relations Society of America. The art and music education programs are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Foreign Language Education programs in Modern and Classical Languages hold accreditation from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
The Master of Public Administration program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration.
College of Sciences and Mathematics
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry degree program has been approved by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society. Students who complete the approved program are eligible to have their degree certified by the American Chemical Society.
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Harley Langdale Jr. College of Business Administration
Programs within the Harley Langdale Jr. College of Business Administration are accredited by AACSB International. The College has also achieved AACSB Accounting Accreditation.
James L. and Dorothy H. Dewar College of Education and Human Services
The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation has accredited the Dewar College of Education and Human Services as the unit primarily responsible for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel. All of the programs housed within the college, as well as the art, music, and foreign language education programs, are approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
Five programs in the unit have received national recognition by their specialized professional associations. These include:
- BSEd in Middle Grades Education (Association for Middle Level Education);
- MEd in Special Education: Deaf Education and Hard of Hearing Track (Council for Exceptional Children);
- MEd in Instructional Technology (American Library Association/ American Association of School Librarians);
- MEd in Special Education General Curriculum (Council for Exceptional Children); and
- MAT in Foreign Language Education (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages).
Additionally, five programs have achieved national accreditation from their aligned professional associations:
- MEd in Communication Disorders (Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association);
- MEd in Counselor Education (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs);
- MS in Marriage and Family Therapy (Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Training and Education of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy);
- Master of Library and Information Science (American Library Association); and
- Master of Social Work (Council on Social Work Education).
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and master's degree program in nursing at Valdosta State University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). The BS in Exercise Physiology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.