Mr. Stanley Jones, Registrar
University Center, Entrance 5

The Office of the Registrar maintains the academic records of students and issues transcripts of records and certificates for various governmental agencies.

Students are encouraged to check with the Registrar’s Office when questions arise concerning academic status. All students have a permanent record to which only they and authorized personnel have access, and it is to the student’s advantage to check this record periodically. Official transcripts are provided upon written request of the student. All undergraduate and graduate work constitutes a complete academic record. Portions of that record will not be deleted when transcripts are provided. All grades assigned remain on the student’s permanent record and transcript. Two weeks’ processing time should be allowed for the preparation of transcripts and certifications.

Transcripts of academic records from other universities and high schools are not provided. The student must contact previous institutions attended for those transcripts. It is also the student’s responsibility to contact testing agencies for test score reports.

Office of the Registrar--Rights under FERPA 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. VSU's official contact person for such record requests is the Custodian of Official Records located in the Office of Legal Affairs.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee,such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.   

    Directory information: Valdosta State University publishes student information in the form of directories, programs, etc. Students who desire that directory information not be released without consent should notify the Office of the Registrar in writing. The following may be included as directory information unless notification is received to the contrary: Student's name, address (local and home), telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, full or part‐ time status, and e‐mail address. 

    Educational records will be furnished to a requesting party in compliance with judicial order, or pursuant to any lawfully issued subpoena, upon condition that parents and the students are notified of all such orders or subpoenas in advance of the compliance therewith by the educational institution or agency. 

  4.  The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 600 Independence Avenue SW Washington DC 20202‐4605 (202) 260‐3887