Nutritional science is an academic discipline that offers an intellectual approach to the study of nutrition as it contributes to health promotion by primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention. The study of nutritional science provides accurate assessments of the roles of functional foods and nutrients as they affect and are affected by humans’ intellectual, biological, psychological, social, cultural, environmental, economic, and spiritual being. This minor includes the integration of holistic health concepts with alternative and complementary healing practices and contemporary medical regimes. This minor offers students the opportunity to explore research demonstrating the importance of nutritional balance (variety, moderation, and activity) to quality of life and holistic health. The nutritional status of Americans is compared and contrasted to other environments and cultures around the globe. The minor encourages the acquisition of practical experiences, the development of intellectual expertise in various aspects of nutritional science, and initiation of creative interventions to facilitate and motivate behavioral changes related to nutritional problems and diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and osteoporosis.
Selected Educational Outcomes
- gain familiarity with the scope of nutritional science as an academic area and the research that is conducted in the field.
- develop an appreciation for the complexities of nutritional processes and the significance of nutrition to lifelong health and productivity.
- are enabled to take greater responsibility for their own nutritional choices in pursuit of holistic health.
- assess and evaluate nutritional status and plan the implementation of appropriate interventions for optimal well-being.
- demonstrate a commitment to outreach by sharing nutritional expertise with individuals, families, and communities.
- declare a Nutritional Science minor
- have earned a grade of "C" or better in BIOL 2651
- have earned a grade of "C" or better in BIOL 2652
Minor in Nutritional Science (Online)
|NUTR 3100||Applied Nutritional Science||3|
|NUTR 4000||Advanced Nutritional Therapy||3|
|Elective courses from the following||9|
|Special Topics in Nutrition|
|Nutrition, Fitness, and Health|
|Weight Management and Behavior|
|Community Nutrition and Health|