Broadcast and digital communications impact every aspect of our lives, from listening to the radio or streamed content to watching television to using the Internet. The B.F.A. with a major in Mass Media is designed to provide the knowledge, values, perspectives, and skills necessary to transition seamlessly from the academic environment to the digital and broadcast communications arena. Students are involved in content creation and delivery.
The B.F.A. with a major in Mass Media at VSU offers numerous productions throughout the year, providing students with significant performance experience.
Beyond technical learning, students learn important skills such as collaboration, writing, storytelling, planning, budgeting, presentation, and research skills.
Grade Point Average Requirement for the BFA with a Major in Mass Media
Students who declare a major in Mass Media must earn a grade point average of 2.50 or better on Area F courses. Students who earn less than a 2.50 GPA in Area F courses will be asked to switch to another major or will automatically be changed to an undeclared major status.
Selected Educational Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the acquisition of historic, cultural, and critical perspectives on the media.
- Students will demonstrate skills in the analysis of broadcast program syntax and broadcast systems and their applications.
- Students will demonstrate skills required for the production and delivery of broadcast programming and management.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of professional opportunities for employment in the broadcast industries.
Examples of the Outcomes Assessments
Concluding curricular experiences for the major will include:
- Participation in professionally oriented broadcast media program productions.
- Development of materials geared to the individual student’s professional career goals or post-graduation plans.
- A capstone portfolio presentation exhibiting advanced technical or performance skills and assessing personal strengths and weaknesses.
Requirements for the B.F.A. with a Major in Mass Media
|Core Curriculum Areas A-E (See VSU Core Curriculum)||42|
|Core Curriculum Area F||18|
|COMM 1100||Human Communication||3|
|MDIA 2000||Introduction to Mass Media||3|
|MDIA 2050||Introduction to Electronic Media Production||3|
|MDIA 2100||Introduction to Media Writing||3|
|MDIA 2350||Media and Culture||3|
|MDIA 2500||Computer Mediated Communication||3|
|Senior College Curriculum||60|
|MDIA 3350||Aesthetics of Electronic Media||3|
|MDIA 4100||Media Economics and Management||3|
|MDIA 4200||Media Law and Ethics||3|
|MDIA 4400||Media Criticism||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Selected Topics in Mass Media|
|Diversity in Media|
|Media Content Creation|
|MDIA 3100||Writing for Media II||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Sports, News and Entertainment Announcing|
|Media Research and Audience Analysis|
|Introduction to Sportswriting|
|MDIA 3001||Media Production I||3|
|MDIA 3002||Media Production II||3|
|MDIA 3003||Media Production III||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|International Documentary Production Workshop|
|New Media Workshop|
|MDIA 4700||Digital Media Production Capstone||3|
|MDIA 4950||Senior Seminar||1|
|Total hours required for the degree||120|