The Adult and Career Education major provides advanced, professional training for individuals pursuing careers in teaching and leadership of career education and related fields. The program prepares students for working with adult learners and students with special needs in career education fields at the secondary and postsecondary levels in the public and private sectors.
Selected Educational Outcomes
- Candidates will demonstrate the ability to engage in focused inquiry by researching a topic, evaluating relevant literature, writing a comprehensive dissertation, and presenting the results of their study.
- Candidates or students will demonstrate the ability to contribute to the body of knowledge in their field by writing and submitting a manuscript for publication or by making a presentation based on their doctoral studies at a professional conference or meeting.
- Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the knowledge, research, and theories appropriate to their major field by completing a comprehensive examination.
Examples of Outcome Assessments
- The process of developing the dissertation and the results of the dissertation are assessed by a faculty committee using criteria approved at the program level.
- As part of the course requirements in their major coursework, candidates will be required to write a manuscript to submit for publication or a proposal for presentation at a professional development conference based on their doctoral studies.The manuscript will be reviewed by a faculty member before it is submitted to a professional publication. Candidates or students will document successfully making a presentation based on their doctoral studies at a professional conference or meeting.
- Students will successfully develop written responses to a comprehensive examination that requires the application of information gained from a series of courses. Written responses will be evaluated by a team of faculty members.
Prior to admission to any graduate program at Valdosta State University, applicants must first submit a completed application to the Graduate School. A completed application packet includes official transcripts from all institutions previously attended, official test scores (GRE or MAT), completed application form, fee, and any additional program requirements submitted by the admission deadline.
To be considered for the preferred term, all required materials must be received by the Graduate School no later than the close of business on the deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to allow adequate time for document submission and to ensure receipt of documents.
This program considers applications for Fall and Spring terms.
Fall Deadline: April 1
Spring Deadline: October 1
Go to the Graduate School website and click on Our Programs, then click on ACED Ed.D. Program for information on:
- Specific ACED Ed.D. Program Admission Requirements
- ACED Ed.D. Program Retention, Dismissal, and Readmission Policies
- ACED Ed.D. Program Graduation Requirements
To Apply Online, click here.
Requirements for the Ed.D. Degree with a Major in Adult and Career Education
|Area A – Interdisciplinary Studies|
|Select three from the following:||9|
|Adult Learning Strategies|
|Curriculum Design, Implementation, and Evaluation|
|Leadership Problems: Interdisciplinary Analysis|
|Interdisciplinary Studies in Education|
|Area B – Educational Inquiry|
|RSCH 9800||Research Design and Foundations for Advanced Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed Methods Research||3|
|RSCH 9820||Qualitative Research Methods in Education||3|
|RSCH 9840||Quantitative Research Methods in Education||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Advanced Qualitative Research Methods|
|Advanced Quantitative Research Methods|
|Advanced Mixed Method|
|RSCH 9872||Dissertation Topic Conceptualization||3|
|Area C – Adult and Career Education|
|ACED 9410||Diverse Populations in Adult and Career Education||3|
|ACED 9420||Issues in Adult and Career Education||3|
|ACED 9430||Leadership in Adult and Career Education||3|
|ACED 9450||International Workforce Education and Training||3|
|An advisor will be assigned to each student, based on the area of specialization. The advisor and the student will jointly complete an approved program of study to be followed.||9|
|ACED 9999||Dissertation in Adult and Career Education||9|
|Total Hours Required for the Degree||54|