Selected Educational Goals
Students completing the program for the Master of Science degree with a major in sociology should demonstrate a mastery of the following:
- Competence in sociological research and evaluation.
- Competence in social theory.
- Competence as a sociological practitioner.
- Competence addressing issues related to multiculturalism and diversity.
- Mastery in an area of sociological practice.
Educational outcomes for the Master of Science degree with a major in sociology will be assessed by multiple techniques including the following:
- Program faculty will meet regularly to plan and to assess student and program outcomes.
- The Sociological Practice courses will provide opportunities to assess writing and oral presentation skills.
- The Comprehensive Examinations will provide a means of assessing outcomes of the program.
- Graduate exit surveys will be given to all students successfully completing the program.
- When available, university-wide data pertaining to the program and its graduates will be used for assessment and improvement.
Prior to admission to any graduate program at Valdosta State University, applicants must first submit a completed application to the Graduate School. A completed application packet includes official transcripts from all institutions previously attended, official test scores (GRE or MAT), completed application form, fee, and any additional program requirements submitted by the admission deadline. To be considered for your preferred term, all required materials must be received by the Graduate School no later than the close of business on the deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to allow adequate time for document submission and to ensure receipt of documents.
- Fall Deadline: July 15
- Spring Deadline: November 15
- Summer Deadline: April 15
Go to the Graduate School website and click on Our Programs, then click on Sociology Program for information on:
- Specific Sociology Program Admission Requirements
- Sociology Program Retention, Dismissal, and Readmission Policies
- Sociology Program Graduation Requirements
To Apply Online, click here.
Requirements for the M.S. Degree with a Major in Sociology
|SOCI 7011||Sociology in Applied Settings||3|
|SOCI 7012||Sociological Theory||3|
|SOCI 7021||Statistical Applications in Sociology||3|
|SOCI 7022||Research Methods||3|
|SOCI 7050||Class, Gender, and Ethnic Issues in Applied Settings||3|
|Students may select from any SOCI prefix course numbered 5000-8000 except SOCI 7800.|
|SOCI 7800||Sociological Practice||6|
Successful completion of the Graduate Comprehensive Examination
|Total Required for the Degree||30|